Short stories were once the training grounds for the best writers in the world. Writers like Ernest Hemingway, Leo Tolstoy, Mark Twain, and Stephen King learned the craft of writing through short stories before they published their first novels. Even though short stories have gone out of favor, they are still the best way for writers to learn the craft quickly.
In this free tutorial, you will learn why short stories are important for aspiring writers, how to write a short story, and how to submit your short stories to magazines and get them published.
Ten Steps to Publishing Short Stories
This effective tutorial will be conveniently delivered to your email inbox in ten manageable chunks. You’ll also get links to helpful resources and professional services. Here are the topics we’ll cover:
- Five Steps to Write Short Stories
- Four Reasons to Write Short Stories
- Three Tips to Write a Great Short Story
- The Best Way to Become a Better Writer
- Three Ways Short Stories Are Different Than Novels
- Should You Focus on a Mood or an Event?
- How to Write a Short Story Only You Could Write
- How to Format a Short Story Manuscript for Submission: a Checklist
- 4 Tips to Avoid Having Your Short Story Rejected by a Literary Magazine
- You Will be Rejected
- BONUS: How to Get Published in a Literary Magazine [Interview with Glimmer Train Stories]
- BONUS: How to Publish 99 Short Stories in 8 Years [An Interview with Stefanie Freele]
How to Write a Short Story
Everyone needs a little kick in the pants every once in a while. If you want to write but have been struggling with the discipline to do it, this tutorial will help by providing practical challenges given with a dose of inspiration.
Thousands of literary magazines exist today to publish up and coming writers like you. This tutorial will help you discover those magazines and submit your short stories the right way so you can get published sooner.
Visit us at First Edition Design Publishing